Message from Telstra:
With significant rainfall and flood waters causing damage, disruption and displacement across south-east Queensland and northern New South Wales, we’ve activated an assistance package for our customers as well as enabling free Telstra Air Wi-Fi access where possible. Our retail stores across these regions will also be closed until the situation eases and is safe to re-open.
It’s been a terrible few days for many, and unfortunately it’s not over yet. Our thoughts are with everyone affected and we’re here to help.
Payphones in the area are already able to make free local and national calls to standard fixed line numbers and free calls to standard Australian mobile numbers, after we made payphones free in August 2021. During this flooding situation, we will also be allowing free use of the Telstra Air Wi-Fi network at locations where payphones are equipped to provide this.
If you’ve been displaced from your home during this disaster, we’ve activated an assistance package that gives our customers both short and long-term measures to help out. That assistance can range from extra data on your mobile and free call diversions to a one-off credit to help cover the cost of getting a fixed phone service back up and running.
Our assistance package also gives Telstra customers access to free and interim services during short-term impacts from damaging weather, with long-term measures also available for customers who have suffered severe damage or loss of their homes and businesses.
For customers who have been displaced from their residence or business during a natural disaster event, short-term assistance can include:
- Calls diverted from a fixed line service to another number while you’re displaced from your residence or business (to Australian numbers only)
- 25GB data pack for post-paid mobile customers (30-day expiry, not transferrable to another service)
- 25GB prepaid data and free calls (30-day expiry, not transferrable to another service)
- There may also be longer term assistance available for Telstra customers who have suffered severe damage to or loss of their premises and require longer term assistance.
The long-term assistance package includes:
- Free call diversion from the customer’s Telstra fixed phone service to another Australian fixed or mobile service of their choice, regardless of the carrier
- A one-off credit to the customer’s Telstra fixed phone account to cover the costs of connecting a Telstra fixed phone service at one temporary address
- Re-connection of a Telstra fixed phone service at the customer’s original permanent address.
Please call 1800 888 888, enter your phone or mobile number and talk to our teams to find out how we can help.
We are updating eligible suburbs in the below link. Affected customers in the suburbs/communities are eligible for the assistance package: